[Question] How ought I spend time?

What fac­tors go into your rea­son­ing about as­sign­ing rel­a­tive weights to

  1. grind­ing through books

  2. pro­jects, tak­ing a shot at the pos­si­bil­ity of a contribution

  3. read­ing cur­rent research

Per­son­ally, I never main­tain 1 and 2 at the same time, and I tend to have >95% of my re­sources on ei­ther one or the other, leav­ing 5% or less for 3. The vast ma­jor­ity of the last 4 years I’ve been in 1-mode, my rea­son­ing be­ing that I can’t make a con­tri­bu­tion if I don’t know any­thing, and I don’t want to sink my time into bad pro­jects.